One of the best features of WordPress is its simple editor to edit the code of themes and plugins that you have installed on your WordPress website. However, the default editor cannot compete with some of the tools you may be more accustomed to using when editing code on your computer.
A code editor is exactly what its name implies: a tool for writing code and designing your website’s code/files. Moreover, a theme code editor allows you to edit WordPress theme files directly from the WordPress dashboard.
Consider utilizing an editor plugin to get the most out of WordPress. There are a few WordPress editor plugins that can make it easier to make live changes to your plugin and theme from within the admin dashboard and let you accomplish more than the default editor, as well as offer more functionality.
In this article, we have listed and discussed some of the best code editor plugins for your WordPress website.
Benefits of Using a Code Editor Plugin
- With capabilities like syntax highlighting and code lookup, Code Editor Plugins are helpful in reducing development time so that programmers can code more efficiently.
- Code Editor Plugins make it very easy to tweak and personalize your WordPress websites.
- These plugins are especially beneficial if you want to make frequent modifications to the appearance of your site, as they make it easier to arrange your additions.
Best Code Editor Plugins
In this part of the article, we will review some of the most popular File Manager and Code Editor Plugins that you can use for your WordPress website.1.
1. WPIDE – File Manager & Code Editor for WordPress
WPIDE is a WordPress code editor that strives to be the ultimate environment for coding WordPress themes and plugins. You can update any file in your wp-content directory, not only plugins and themes. Code completion will assist you to recall your WordPress/PHP instructions by offering function references along the way. The tabbed editor allows you to work on many files simultaneously.
It may also be used to quickly alter theme or plugin files and code new functions without fear of breaking the site, as there is a PHP parser and checker in place, as well as an automated backup before saving any file. The WPIDE plugin is typically used by developers or agencies who need to fix customer websites without requesting FTP access.
WPide has acquired over 350,000 downloads and is being utilized and enjoyed by over 30,000 users! The success of this plugin would not have been possible without XplodedThemes who revamped and rebuilt the plugin from scratch after they acquired it.
More specifically, one of the best features of this plugin is that, if a fatal error occurs after editing and saving a file, instead of displaying a white screen of death, the plugin will display a File Recovery Wizard that will assist in the restoration of the original file.
Here is a list of the top WPIDE features included in the Free Version:
- Full-featured File Manager
- Create new directories and files
- Bulk uploads & downloads
- Advanced file / code editor
- Find & Replace text within files
- PHP code checking before saving
- Editor Syntax Highlighting
- Automatic PHP file backup
- File Recovery Wizard
- Calculating folder size
- Search for files and folders by keyword
- Multi-tab support
- Preview images in a gallery mode
- Preview video and audio files
WPIDE also has the following significant features in the Pro Version:
- Full screen editing
- Powerful Image Editor
- Advanced Database Manager
WPide is a fantastic alternative if you want to preserve the usual WordPress editor screens and have the ability to open any file in the wp-content directory, as well as have many files open via the tabbed editor window.
2. WP File Manager
File Manager is a plugin that enables you to edit, remove, upload, download, zip, and copy-paste files and folders using the File Manager. It is a powerful and flexible WordPress File Management solution.
The File Manager plugin also has the following significant features in the Free Version:
- Copy and move files with drag-and-drop functionality.
- A built-in integrated environment for coding.
- Create, archive, and extract zip, tar, and gzip files.
- Upload files of any size.
- Syntax checker to review if there are no code errors.
- Preview PDF files.
- Search for files with the search functionality that is built directly into File Manager.
- Resize files once uploaded.
- Backup and restore theme plugins and files.
The File Manager plugin also has the following significant features in the Pro Version:
- Manage which files can be uploaded and which files can be downloaded.
- Edit text files and images.
- Get notified whenever any file is updated, edited, or downloaded.
- Hide files and folders for user roles.
- Control file upload size.
- Access the front end using shortcode functionality.
File Manager is a good option if you’re looking for a plugin with the ability to edit, delete, upload, and download files and folders.
3. WP Editor
The WP Editor plugin replaces the default plugin and theme editor, as well as the page/post editor. Therefore, WP Editor, which has nearly 200,000 downloads and a 4.9 out of 5-star rating, not only improves the default WordPress code editor for theme and plugin files but also improves the text view on the post and page editor.
The WP Editor plugin also has the following significant features:
- Upload files.
- Syntax highlighting.
- Multiple undo and redo options.
- Create new files and directories.
- Edit in full screen.
- Download the individual or entire theme/plugin file.
- Simple to use settings functionality.
However, despite the attractive user interface, WP Editor has one shortcoming: a lack of auto-completion. If this feature is important to you, then this may not be the right plugin for your needs, but for other people, this could be the perfect and most user-friendly plugin there is today.
4. Syntax Highlighter
Syntax Highlighter is an easy-to-use WordPress plugin that substitutes the default theme and plugin source code editor with a CodeMirror-enhanced editor. An updated source code editor displays code with syntax highlighting and line numbers, allowing you to understand your code and detect issues easily.
This plugin allows you to have more control over the editor and may be customized on the plugin settings page. For your editor, you can select from 36 different color themes.
The Syntax Highlighter plugin requires no complex configurations or hacks; simply install, enable, and begin utilizing your new upgraded theme and plugin editor.
The Syntax Highlighter plugin also has the following significant features:
- Line numbering functionality.
- Syntax highlighting for codes.
- Compatible with all WordPress themes.
- Live preview.
- Secure code using clear coding standards.
There are several WordPress code editor plugin options on the market, which can be excellent, but can also make it quite difficult to select the best WordPress code editor plugin for you.
If you’re still unsure about which WordPress code editor plugin to use, have a look at our selection of helpful WordPress code editor plugins and see which one best suits your needs.
If you thought this blog post was useful, you might want to consider reading this one about the Best WooCommerce WordPress Themes for 2022 and the 5 Best WooCommerce Themes for Selling Digital Downloads.
We hope this list of the best Code Editor plugins is helpful for you to find the right plugin option for your WordPress website.